Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VT), 2009.
M Tech, Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of technology Bombay (IITB), 2005.
BS, Mechanical Engineering, Addis Ababa University (AAU), 2000.
Humanoid robotics, emerging applications of smart materials, sensors, and actuators, mechatronic system, multimodal energy harvesting, modeling, controls and biomimetics.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Tadesse, Yonas; Hong, Dennis and Priya, Shashank “Twelve Degree of Freedom Baby Humanoid Face using Shape Memory Alloy Actuators” Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics vol.3, pp.1-18 (2011).
- Marin, Anthony; Tadesse, Yonas; Bhalla, Amar and Priya, Shashank "Multimodal Vibration Harvester Using Inductive and Magnetostrictive Mechanisms." Integrated Ferroelectrics, vol. 125, issue 1, pp 111-122 (2011)
- Smith, Colin; Joshi, Keyur; Villanueva, Alex; Tadesse, Yonas and Priya, Shashank “Working principle of Bio-Inspired Shape Memory Alloy Composite (BISMAC) actuators” Smart Materials and Structures letter section vol.20, 012001, (2011).
- Tadesse, Yonas; Subbarao, Kamesh and Priya, Shashank “Realizing a humanoid neck with a four bar mechanism”, Journal of intelligent materials and systems, vol. 21, no. 12, pp.1169-1191(2010).
- Kim, Hyunuk; Tadesse, Yonas and Priya, Shashank “Chapter 1: Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting”, Energy Harvesting Technologies (Hardcover) by Shashank Priya (Ed.), Daniel J. Inman (Ed.), Springer (2009).
Major Honors and Awards
- Biography listed in Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 11th edition
- Featured article, Multimodal energy harvesting system: piezoelectric and electromagnetic, featured in “the 50 Most-Frequently Read Articles in 2008, 2009, 2010”†), Journal of Intelligent materials Systems and Structure.
- Featured article, Polypyrrole composite actuator, in “most accessed articles of 2008” in Smart materials and structure, IOP Science.
- Membership, ASME, IEEE, SPIE, NSBE and ACS
- Scholarship, STEM Automation and robotics research Institute, UTA Texas, 2005-2007.
- Meritorious contribution: in soccer team, Indian institute of Technology, Bombay, 2004-2005.
- Scholarship, Indian institute of Technology, Bombay, India, 2003-2005.
- Great distinction: (NOE), National Ethiopian School Leaving Exam Certificate, 1995.