Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VT), 2009.
M Tech, Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of technology Bombay (IITB), 2005.
BS, Mechanical Engineering, Addis Ababa University (AAU), 2000.
Humanoid robotics, emerging applications of smart materials, sensors, and actuators, mechatronic system, multimodal energy harvesting, modeling, controls and biomimetics.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Y. Tadesse, L .Wu, L.Saharan "Musculoskeletal System of Bio-inspired Robotic Systems", ASME/DSC MECHANICAL ENGINEERING 138 (3), 2016
- L. Wu, M. Larkin, A. Potnuru, and Y.Tadesse. "HBS-1: A Modular Child-Size 3D Printed Humanoid." Robotics 5, no. 1 (2016): 1.
- L. Wu, M. Jung de Andrade, R.S. Rome, C. Haines, M.D. Lima, R.H. Baughman, and Y. Tadesse. “Nylon-muscle-actuated robotic finger”, Edited by Wei-Hsin Liao, Proc. SPIE 9431, 2015.
- M. Larkin and Y. Tadesse,“HM-EH-RT: hybrid multimodal energy harvesting from rotational and translational motions ” International Journal of Smart and Nano Materials, Vol.4, Issue 4, 257-285,2013(Published online:09 Apr 2014).
- Y. Tadesse, “Electroactive polymer and shape-memory alloy actuators in biomimetics and humanoids” (Invited Paper), Edited by Bar-Cohen, Yoseph, Proc. SPIE, Paper 8687-8, 2013.
Major Honors and Awards
- Young Investigator Program (YIP) from Office of Naval Research (ONR), 2015.
- Featured Articles in a cover page of Smart materials and Structures, “Fuel-powered robotic jellyfish” IOP Science, 2012.
- Featured Articles in a number of media outlets including BBC, Discovery News, Popular Mechanics, PC Magazine, New Scientist, Los Angeles Times, Washington Times, Wall Street Journals, Time Magazine, Dallas Morning News, Science Daily, WIRED Magazine etc.) in 2012.
- Biography listed in Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 11th edition
- Featured article, Journal of Intelligent materials Systems and Structure, featured in “the 50 Most-Frequently Read Articles” for multimodal energy harvester work.
- Featured article, in “most accessed articles of 2008” in Smart materials and structure, IOP Science.
- Membership, ASME, IEEE, SPIE, NSBE and ACS
- Scholarship, STEM Automation and robotics research Institute, UTA Texas, 2005-2007.
- Meritorious contribution: in soccer team, Indian institute of Technology, Bombay, 2004-2005.
- Scholarship, Indian institute of Technology, Bombay, India, 2003-2005.
- Great distinction: (NOE), National Ethiopian School Leaving Exam Certificate, 1995.