Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2012
MS, Mechanical Engineering, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, 2008
BS, Mechanical Engineering, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, 2006
Multidisciplinary design optimization, complex engineered systems, power & energy systems, renewable energy, grid modernization, big data analytics, probabilistic design
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Zhang, J., Florita, A., Hodge, B.-M., Lu, S., Hamann, H. F., Banunarayanan, V. and Brockway, A., "A Suite of Metrics for Assessing the Performance of Solar Power Forecasting," Solar Energy, Vol. 111, 2015, pp. 157-175
- Cui, M., Ke, D., Sun, Y., Gan, D., Zhang, J. and Hodge, B.-M., "Wind Power Ramp Event Forecasting Using a Stochastic Scenario Generation Method," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 6, Issue 2, 2015, pp. 422-433.
- Zhang, J., Chowdhury, S., Mehmani, A. and Messac, A., "Characterizing Uncertainty Attributable to Surrogate Models," Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 136, Issue 3, 2014, pp. 031004.
- Zhang, J., Chowdhury, S., Messac, A. and Castillo, L., "A Multivariate and Multimodal Wind Distribution Model," Renewable Energy, Vol. 51, 2013, pp. 436-447.
- Zhang, J., Chowdhury, S. and Messac, A., "An Adaptive Hybrid Surrogate Model," Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 46, Issue 2, 2012, pp. 223-238.
Major Honors and Awards
- Best paper award, IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, 2015
- Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Technical Committee (MDO TC) Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2015 - Present
- Solar Energy Division Technical Committee (SED TC) Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2014 – Present
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME)