Mario A. Rotea
Professor and Erik Jonsson Chair
Department Head, Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Control Science and Dynamical Systems, University of Minnesota, 1990
MS, Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1988
BS, Electronic Engineering, National University of Rosario, Argentina, 1983
Analysis and design of control systems; Control of wind energy systems; Noise and vibration control.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Zhang Y., M. A. Rotea and N. Gans, “Simplex guided extremum seeking control with convergence detection to improve global performance,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 1266-1278, 2015.
- Borhan H., M.A. Rotea, and D. Viassolo, “Optimization-based power management of a wind farm with battery storage,” Wind Energy, Vol. 16, No. 8, pp.1197–1211, 2013.
- Lackner M. and M.A. Rotea, “Passive structural control of offshore wind turbines,” Wind Energy, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 373-388, 2011.
- Saheba R., M.A. Rotea, O. Wasynczuk, S. Pekarek, and B. Jordan, “Virtual Thermal Sensing for Electric Machines,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 30, No. 1, February 2010.
Major Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), for contributions to robust and optimal control of multivariable systems, 2007.
- Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation, 1993.
- Seed for Success Award Winner, periods April to June 2004 and April to June 2005, for attracting research grants in excess of $1M to Purdue University.
- CT Sun Excellence in Research Award, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, 2006.
- Top Five Undergraduate Teachers in Aeronautics and Astronautics for the years 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2000.
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 1989.
- Best GPA (out of 137 graduates in Electronic, Electrical, Civil Mechanical Engineering; Mathematics; Physics), Universidad Nacional de Rosario.
Selected Plenary Lectures
- Modeling and Control of Wind Energy Systems, Plenary, 2016 IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control (MSC), Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 19-22, 2016.
- NSF INCLUDES, Keynote, ASEE Mid-Atlantic Conference, George Washington University, April 9, 2016.
- Three “Ps” that help in my Career – Passion, Preparation, Persistence – and one “S” that defines it – Systems, Honorary Lecture, SHPE Conference 2015, Baltimore, November 12, 2015.