Mario A. Rotea
Professor and Erik Jonsson Chair
Department Head, Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Control Science and Dynamical Systems, University of Minnesota, 1990
MS, Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1988
BS, Electronic Engineering, National University of Rosario, Argentina, 1983
Control systems; condition monitoring systems; energy conversion, storage, and conservation; mechanical systems; aerospace systems.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Borhan H., M.A. Rotea, and D. Viassolo, “Optimization-based power management of a wind farm with battery storage,” Wind Energy, Vol. 16, No. 8, pp.1197–1211, 2013.
- Lackner M. and M.A. Rotea, “Passive structural control of offshore wind turbines,” Wind Energy, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 373-388, 2011.
- Lackner M. and M.A. Rotea, “Structural Control of Floating Wind Turbines,” Mechatronics, Vol. 21, No. 4, Special Issue on past, present and future modeling and control of wind turbines, pp. 704-719, 2011.
- Miller E., M.A. Rotea, and J. P. Rothstein, “Microfluidic device incorporating closed loop feedback control for uniform and tunable production of micro-droplets,” Lab on a Chip, Vol. 10, No. 10, pp. 1293-1301, 2010.
- Saheba R., M.A. Rotea, O. Wasynczuk, S. Pekarek, and B. Jordan, “Virtual Thermal Sensing for Electric Machines,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 30, No. 1, February 2010.
Major Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), for contributions to robust and optimal control of multivariable systems, 2007.
- CT Sun Excellence in Research Award, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, 2006.
- Seed for Success Award Winner for attracting research grants in excess of $1M to Purdue University, 2004 and 2005.
- Best Poster Interactive Paper Award, 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Maui, HI, December 2003.
- Best Paper Presentation Awards, American Control Conference, 1989, 1991, 1999, and 2001.
- NSF Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation, 1993.
- NSF Research Initiation Award, National Science Foundation, 1991.
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 1989.