Arif S. Malik
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Wright State University
MS, Electrical Engineering, Wright State University
BS, Mechanical Engineering, Wright State University
Computational Mechanics, Uncertainty Analysis, Reliability-Based Design Optimization, Rolling of Metal Alloys, Micro Air Vehicle Wing Design, Laser Peening
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Combes, T., Malik, A., Bramesfeld, G., McQuilling, M., "Efficient Fluid-Structure Interaction Method for Conceptual Design of Flexible, Fixed-Wing Micro-Air-Vehicle Wings," AIAA Journal, 2015, Vol. 53, No. 6, pp. 1442-1454, DOI: 10.2514/1.J053125
- Bramesfeld, G., Malik, A., "Micro Aerial Vehicles in Confined Spaces: Are Two Wings Better than One?", Journal of Aircraft, (Accepted Jan. 7, 2015, in press). DOI: 10.2514/1.C033012
- Vance, S., Malik, A., "Analysis of Factors That May be Essential to the Decision to Fly on Fully Autonomous Passenger Airliners," Journal of Advanced Transportation, (Accepted Feb. 25, 2015, in press). DOI: 10.1002/atr.1308
- Nelson, A., Malik, A., Wendel, J., Zipf, E., "Probabilistic Force Prediction by Cold Sheet Rolling by Bayesian Inference," ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 2014, Vol. 136, No. 4, pp. 041006-1 to 051009-11. DOI: 10.1115/1.4027434
- Yang, S., Malik, A., Wu, Y.-J., "Travel Time Reliability Estimation Using the Hasofer Lind-Rackwitz Fiessler Algorithm and Kernel Density Estimation," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2014, No. 2442, pp. 85-95. DOI: 143141/2442-10
Major Honors and Awards
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development Award (NSF CAREER), Jan. 2015
- Air Force Research Laboratory Summer Faculty Fellowship, 2010-15
- Best Organizer of Symposium and Session, ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, 2015 (MSEC2015).
- Saint Louis University Faculty Excellence in Research Award, 2013
- Invited Speaker, U.S.-Korea Workshop of Advanced Manufacturing, NSF, South Korea, May, 2013.
- Best Organizer of Symposium and Session, ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, 2013 (MSEC2013).
- NSF Fellowship, Uncertainty in Machining Workshop, Feb., 2010
- NSF Fellowship, Principles of and Recent Advances in Laser Micro/Nano Manufacturing Processes Workshop, Northwestern University, June, 2010
- Outstanding Graduate Student Excellence Award, Ph.D. in Engineering Program, 2007
- Best Student Presentation Award, 30th AIAA Dayton-Cincinnati Aerospace Sciences Symposium (DCASS), Dayton, OH, March, 2005