Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Associate Department Head, Mechanical Engineering
Louis A. Beecherl Jr. Chair
PhD, Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology, 1997
MS, Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, China, 1988
BS, Solid Mechanics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China, 1986
Experimental mechanics; nanomechanics; mechanics of time-dependent materials; mechanical behavior of nanomaterials; dynamic behavior of materials; fracture mechanics.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- ZF Liu, S Fang, FA Moura, JN Ding, N Jiang, J Di, M Zhang, X Lepró, DS Galvão, CS Haines, NY Yuan, SG Yin, DW Lee, R Wang, HY Wang, W Lv, C Dong, RC Zhang, MJ Chen, Q Yin, YT Chong, R Zhang, X Wang, MD Lima, R Ovalle-Robles, D Qian, H Lu, RH Baughman, “Hierarchically Buckled Sheath-Core Fibers for Superelastic Electronics, Sensors, and Muscles,” Science, 349 (6246): 400-404, 2015 (Highlighted at NSF Homepage)
- Zhenxing Hu, Huiyang Luo, Scott Bardenhagen, Clive R. Siviour, Ronald W. Armstrong, Hongbing Lu, “Internal Deformation Measurement of Polymer Bonded Sugar in Compression by Digital Volume Correlation of In-Situ Tomography,” Experimental Mechanics, 55: 289-300, 2015
- Huiyang Luo, William L. Cooper, Hongbing Lu, “Effects of Particle Size and Moisture on the Compressive Behavior of Dense Eglin Sand under Confinement at High Strain Rates,” International Journal of Impact Engineering, 65: 40-55, 2014
- Zhenxing Hu, Huiyang Luo, Yingjie Du, Hongbing Lu, “Fluorescent Stereo Microscopy for 3D Surface Profilometry and Deformation Mapping,” Optics Express, 21: 11808-11818, 2013
- N. Leventis, N. Chandrasekaran, A.G. Sadekar, C. Sotiriou-Leventis, and H. Lu, “One-Pot Synthesis of Interpenetrating Inorganic/Organic Networks of CuO/Resorcinol-Formaldehyde Aerogels: Nanostructured Energetic Materials,” Journal of American Chemical Society, Vol. 131, pp. 4576-4577, 2009. Highlighted in Nature Chemistry, Issue 3, May 22, 2009.
Major Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2015
- Faculty Research Award, Erik Jonsson School of Engineering & Computer Science, UTD, 2012
- Corresponding Member, International (Russia) Academy of Engineering, 2011
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2009
- Best Paper Award, the 10th International Conference on Web Handling, Stillwater, OK, 2009
- Regents Distinguished Research Award, Oklahoma State University, 2008
- CEAT Halliburton Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology (CEAT), Oklahoma State University, 2008.
- Best Poster Award, the 14th International Sol-Gel Conference, Montpellier, France, 2007.
- Best Paper Award, the 9th International Conference on Web Handling, Stillwater, OK, 2007.
- CEAT Outstanding Young Faculty Award, Oklahoma State University, 2001.
- NSF Career Award, National Science Foundation, 2000
- 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 3M, 1999, 2000, 2001.
- Li Ming Scholarship Award, Caltech, 1993, 1995.
- Charles Lee Powell Foundation Graduate Fellowship, Caltech, 1991.