Louis Beecherl Jr. Chair
Associate Department Head, Mechanical Engineering
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology, 1997
MS, Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, China, 1988
BS, Solid Mechanics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China, 1986
Experimental mechanics; nanomechanics; mechanics of time-dependent materials; mechanical behavior of nanomaterials; dynamic behavior of materials; fracture mechanics.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- P. Du, I-K. Lin, H. Lu, and X. Zhang, “Extension of the Beam Theory for the Polymer Bio-Transducers with Low Aspect Ratios and Viscoelastic Characteristics,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 20, 095016, 2010
- H. Luo, Y. Zhang, B. Wang and H. Lu, “Characterization of the Compressive Behavior of Glass Fiber Reinforced Polyurethane Foam at Different Strain Rates,” Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering – Transactions of ASME, Vol. 132, 021301, 2010.
- W. Yin, S.M. Venkitachalam, E. Jarrett, S. Staggs, N. Leventis, H. Lu, and D.A. Rubenstein, “Biocompatibility of Surfactant-templated Polyurea–nanoencapsulated Macroporous Silica Aerogels with Plasma Platelets and Endothelial Cells,” Journal of Biomedical Materials, Part A, Vol. 92A, pp. 1431-1439, 2010.
- Z. Zhou and H. Lu, “On the Measurements of Viscoelastic Functions of a Sphere by Nanoindentation,” Mechanics of Time-Dependent Materials, Vol, 14, pp. 1-24, 2010.
- N. Leventis, N. Chandrasekaran, A.G. Sadekar, C. Sotiriou-Leventis, and H. Lu, “One-Pot Synthesis of Interpenetrating Inorganic/Organic Networks of CuO/Resorcinol-Formaldehyde Aerogels: Nanostructured Energetic Materials,” Journal of American Chemical Society, Vol. 131, pp. 4576-4577, 2009. Highlighted in Nature Chemistry, Issue 3, May 22, 2009.
Major Honors and Awards
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2009.
- Best Paper Award, the 10th International Conference on Web Handling, Stillwater, OK, 2009.
- Regents Distinguished Research Award, Oklahoma State University, 2008.
- CEAT Halliburton Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology (CEAT), Oklahoma State University, 2008.
- Best Poster Award, the 14th International Sol-Gel Conference, Montpellier, France, 2007.
- Best Paper Award, the 9th International Conference on Web Handling, Stillwater, OK, 2007.
- NSF Career Award, National Science Foundation, 2000.
- CEAT Outstanding Young Faculty Award, Oklahoma State University, 2001.
- 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 3M, 1999, 2000, 2001.
- Li Ming Scholarship Award, Caltech, 1993, 1995.
- Charles Lee Powell Foundation Graduate Fellowship, Caltech, 1991.
- A highly sensitive miniature split Hopkinson tension bar.
- A 80–ft Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar (SHPB).
- A Cordin 550-62 ultra-high speed, color digital camera with a frame rate between 2000 and 4 million frames per second.
- An Agilent G200 Nano Indenter System.
- An interfacial force microscope (IFM).
- Material testing systems and temperature chambers.
- Aerogel synthesis equipment.
- A CPU/GPU parallel computing cluster.