Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 2004.
MS, Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, 1997.
BS, Mechatronics, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1992.
Mechatronics and control systems; control, optimization, dynamic modeling and fault diagnosis for mechanical and electromechanical systems, with strong emphasis on energy systems; dynamic modeling and controls for building HVAC systems; control and fault diagnosis for renewable energy systems (wind and solar); energy management and battery health management for plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Yang, Z., Li, Y. and Seem, J.E. “Individual Pitch Control for Wind Turbine Load Reduction Including Wake Interaction,” to appear in Wind Engineering.
- Li, P., Li, Y. and Seem, J.E. “Consistent Initialization of System of Differential-Algebraic Equations for Dynamic Simulation of Centrifugal Chillers,” Journal of Building Performance Simulation., Vol. 5, No. 2, March 2012, 115-139
- Lei, P., Li, Y. and Seem, J.E. “Modeling and Global MPPT Control for Photovoltaic Array with Variable Shading,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 348-358, July 2011
- Wu, X. Li, Y., Li, F., Yang, Z. and Teng, W. “Adaptive Estimation-Based Leakage Detection for a Wind Turbine Hydraulic Pitching System,”IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2011.2142400
- Ranjan, N. and Li, Y. “Trip Based Stochastic Prediction of Battery State of Charge for Electric Vehicles,” International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 353-368, 2011
Major Honors and Awards
- 2007 Honda Initiation Grant Award for “Trip Based Optimal Power Management for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles” (among the seven winners among 300+ proposals)
- 2009-2010 Top Ten Research Expenditure, College of Engineering & Applied Science, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- 2008-2009 Top Ten Research Expenditure, College of Engineering & Applied Science, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee