Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Sapienza University of Rome.
MS, Aerospace Engineering, Sapienza University of Rome.
Turbulence, Computational Fluid Mechanics, Wind Energy, Drag Reduction, Super Hydrophobic surfaces, Heat transfer
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Canals, M. Morell J., Corredor J. & Leonardi S. (2012) Expanding the Caribbean Coastal Ocean Observing System into the Nearshore Region. OCEANS 2012 MTS/IEEE Virginia Beach Convention Center October 14-19 2012.
- Martinez-Tossas L., Leonardi S., M. J. Churchfield & P. J. Moriarty (2012) A Comparison of Actuator Disk and Actuator Line Wind Turbine Models and Best Practices for Their Use.50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting. Nashville.
- M. J. Churchfield , S. Lee, and P. J. Moriarty, L. A. Martinez and S. Leonardi (2012) Large-Eddy Simulations of Wind-Plant Aerodynamics 50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting. Nashville
- Leonardi S. & Castro I. P. (2010) Channel flow over large cube roughness: a direct numerical simulation study. J. Fluid Mech., 651, 2010, 519 - 539.
- Leonardi, S., Orlandi, P., Smalley, R.J., Djenidi L. & Antonia, R.A. (2003). Direct numerical simulations of turbulent channel flow with transverse square bars. J.Fluid Mech. 491, 229-238.
Major Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Researcher Award, 2011-2012, University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
- Distinguished Professor Award, 2011-2012, Department of Mechanical Engineering University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
- Best Professor Award October 2011, given by the students' Associations University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez.
- Keynote speaker 7th July 2009 IUTAM Symposium on The Physics of Wall-bounded Turbulent Flows on Rough Walls. Cambridge UK
- The research of the group has been published on the Teragrid Science Highlights 2008, NSF.
- The research of the group has been published on the Multimedia Gallery of National Science Foundation.
- Invited speaker June 23-26 2008 the Turbulent Boundary Layers session AIAA meeting in Seattle
- Invited speaker 8th January 2008 at the International Centre for Theoretical Physics Trieste Italy.
- Distinguished Professor Award, 2007-2008, Department of Mechanical Engineering University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
- Distinguished Professor Award, 2006-2007, Department of Mechanical Engineering University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez