Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Affiliated Professor of Bioengineering and Materials Science and Engineering
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, May 1998.
MSc, Engineering Mechanics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, May 1997.
Solid and structural mechanics, multi-scale materials modeling, micro- and nano-mechanics, higher-order continuum theories; traumatic brain injury, biomechanics, mechanics of soft materials; indentation/contact mechanics, impact mechanics, damage and fracture mechanics; nanocomposites, cellular and porous materials, textile and ballistic materials, modeling of manufacturing processes.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- M. Q. Liu and X.-L. Gao, Strain gradient solution for the Eshelby-type polygonal inclusion problem, Int. J. Solids Struct. 50, 328-338 (2013).
- S. S. Zhou and X.-L. Gao., Solutions of half-space and half-plane contact problems based on surface elasticity, Z. angew. Math. Phys. (published on-line on April 7, 2012) (DOI: 10.1007/s00033-012-0205-0) (2012).
- X.-L. Gao and H. M. Ma, Strain gradient solution for the Eshelby-type anti-plane strain inclusion problem, Acta Mech. 223, 1067-1080 (2012).
- S. S. Zhou, X.-L. Gao and G. W. Griffith, Analysis and structural optimization of a three-layer composite cladding tube under thermo-mechanical loads, ASME J. Eng. Mater. Tech. 134, 031001-1~12 (2012).
X.-L. Gao and M. Q. Liu, Strain gradient solution for the Eshelby-type polyhedral inclusion problem, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 60, 261-276 (2012).
Major Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) (01/2011)
- Chair Professorship, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai (07/2010)
- Visiting Professorship, University of Paris-East, May-June 2010 (02/2010)
- Chair, ASME/Boeing Structures and Materials Best Paper Award Committee (2006-2007)
- AFOSR/NRC Summer Faculty Fellowship to work at AFRL, WPAFB, OH for 14 weeks (04/2002)
- NSF/UCSD Fellowship to attend the Fifth Summer School of the Institute for Mechanics & Materials (06/1997)