Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Associate Department Head, Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota , 1990
MS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1986
BS, Mechanical Engineering, Seoul National University, 1982
Convective heat transfer and fluid flow; Nucleate boiling heat transfer; Enhancement of phase-change heat transfer; Thermal management of high-heat-flux microelectronics; Heat transfer in thermal energy systems.
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Sang M. Kwark, Miguel Amaya, Ratan Kumar, Gilberto Moreno, and S. M. You, 2010, "Effects of Pressure, Orientation, and Heater Size on Pool Boiling of Water with Nanocoated Heaters," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 53, pp. 5199-5208.
- S. M. You, Miguel Amaya and Sang M. Kwark, 2010, "A Review of Enhancement of Boiling Heat Transfer through Nanofluids and Nanoparticle Coatings," International Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 247-263.
- Sang M. Kwark, Miguel Amaya, Hyejin Moon, and S. M. You, 2011, Effect of Soluble Additives, Boric Acid (H3BO3) and Salt (NaCl), in Pool Boiling Heat Transfer," Nuclear Engineering and Technology, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 195-204.
- Sang M. Kwark, Miguel Amaya, and S. M. You, 2012, "Experimental Pool Boiling Heat Transfer Study of Nanoporous Coating in Various Fluids," International Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 1150001-1~11.
- Sang M. Kwark, Ratan Kumar, Gilberto Moreno, and S. M. You, 2012, "Transient Characteristics of Pool Boiling Heat Transfer in Nanofluids," In Press, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer.
Major Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, ASME Micro/Nanoscale Heat & Mass transfer International Conference, Shanghai, China, 2009.
- Research Excellence Award, University of Texas at Arlington, 2005-2009 .
- Chancellor's Entrepreneurship and Innovation Award, Office of Research and Technology, The University of Texas System, 2007 .
- Best Paper Award, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 2004.
- The Halliburton Excellence in Research Award, University of Texas at Arlington, 2003.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2002.
- Best Teacher Award, College of Engineering, Seoul National University, 2000.
- The Halliburton Outstanding Young Faculty Award, University of Texas at Arlington, 1996.
- Best Technical Presentation Award; International Heat Transfer Conference, 1986.