Robert D. Gregg
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010
MS, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007
BS, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California-Berkeley, 2006
Legged robots, prosthetics and orthotics, neural mechanisms of human locomotion, modeling and simulation, nonlinear control theory
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Gregg, Lenzi, Hargrove, and Sensinger, "Virtual Constraint Control of a Powered Prosthetic Leg: From Simulation to Experiments with Transfemoral Amputees," IEEE Trans. Robotics, 2014, in press.
- Gregg, Rouse, Hargrove, and Sensinger, "Evidence for a Time-Invariant Phase Variable in Human Ankle Control," PLoS ONE, 9(2): e89163, 2014.
- Gregg and Sensinger, "Towards Biomimetic Virtual Constraint Control of a Powered Prosthetic Leg," IEEE Trans. Control Systems Technology, 22(1): 246-254, 2014.
- Gregg and Righetti, "Controlled Reduction with Unactuated Cyclic Variables: Application to 3D Bipedal Walking with Passive Yaw Rotation," IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, 58(10): 2679-2685, 2013.
- Gregg, Dhaher, Degani, and Lynch, "On the Mechanics of Functional Asymmetry in Bipedal Walking," IEEE Trans. Biomedical Engineering, 59(5): 1310-1318, 2012.
Major Honors and Awards
- NIH Director's New Innovator Award, National Institutes of Health, 2013
- Career Award at the Scientific Interface, Burroughs Wellcome Fund, 2012
- CLAWAR Association Best Technical Paper Award, International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots, Paris, France, 2011.
- Engineering into Medicine Postdoctoral Fellowship, Northwestern University Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, Chicago, IL, 2010.
- O. Hugo Schuck Award (Best Theory Paper), IFAC American Automatic Control Council, 2009.
- Best Student Paper Award, American Control Conference, Seattle, WA, 2008.
- Warren Dere Design Award, University of California-Berkeley, 2007.
- First Place, NATCAR Design Contest, University of California, Davis, 2006.
- Arthur M. Hopkin Award, University of California-Berkeley, 2006.
- Christie Senior Research Award, California Alumni Association, University of California-Berkeley, 2006.